This online programme gives participants fundamental knowledge on how people learn. Following the programme, participants will understand the essential elements of the human brain, memory, and learning, that are relevant in designing high-impact instruction and teaching.
The online programme consists of several learning methods, including:
- Mini-lectures by professor Kirsti Lonka with specific learning objectives
- Collaborative online participation among teachers
- Personal reflection and learning diary entries
- Designing new teaching practices and applying them with students in real life
- Webinars, workshops, online tutoring, and training the local trainers (available at an additional cost)
TARGET GROUP AND STRUCTURE
The programme is designed for teachers and principals at all educational stages, and for anyone interested in knowing more about learning. The participant group can include e.g. teachers and principals from a single school, or selected teachers from a certain geographical or subject matter area. The elements of the programme can be tailored to meet the needs of the customer.
The duration of the course is about 10−12 weeks, if participants complete at least one learning module each week. The course can be composed of independent online studying or can include tutoring and webinars, as well as the assessment of participants’ learning diaries and assignments.
- How memory and brain function at their best
- What is conceptual change and how to support it
- How to promote creativity in learning
- How academic emotions facilitate effective learning
- How to design instructional practices that are ideal for high impact learning
- What is the role of academic emotions in learning
- What is expertise and how to promote it
- Profound understanding on high-impact learning
- Ability to implement an effective learning model that engages teachers and students in intensive learning processes, the first step towards the concrete development of teaching and learning practices